NEW TEACHING METHODOLOGIES
The Contributions made by CSE Department Faculty towards inculcating innovative methods in Teaching and Learning are clearly elucidated both in our Department Records and on the Institute Website for peer review and critique. Our work is opened to be enhanced or reproduced.
Some of our inclusive ways are listed below:
Below are the Short Descriptions on above Innovative means in Teaching and Learning:
A mind map is a diagram used to visually organize information. A mind map is hierarchical and shows relationships among pieces of the whole. It is often created around a single concept, drawn as an image in the center of a blank page, to which associated representations of ideas such as images, words and parts of words are added. Major ideas are connected directly to the central concept, and other ideas branch out from those.
Mind Map for Ensemble Classifier in Machine Learning
1.To generate, visualize, structure, and classify ideas, and as an aid to studying and organizing information, solving problems, making decisions, and writing.
2.To help students with critical and creative thinking and improve their problem-solving ability at the same time.
1.The study ability of both students and faculty will get accelerated by improving and enhancing their retention with the combination of photography and information.
2.Problem Solving ability of students will get improved.
A flipped classroom is an instructional strategy and a type of blended learning, which aims to increase student engagement and learning by having students complete readings at their home and work on live problem-solving during class time.
It moves activities, including those that may have traditionally been considered homework, into the classroom. In a flipped classroom, students watch online lectures, collaborate in online discussions, or carry out research at home while engaging in concepts in the classroom with the guidance of a mentor.
1. To promote flexible learning among students.
2. To facilitate increased engagement between students and faculty.
3. To provide prompt and timely feedback to students based on their out of class assessment performance.
1.Resonate well with those who are high performers and those who tend to underperform.
2.Enhance Faculty interaction with students by scheduled class meetings for dialogue.
Activity method is a technique adopted by a teacher to emphasize his or her method of teaching through activity in which the students participate rigorously and bring about efficient learning experiences. Learning by doing is the main focus in this method. Activity based learning is imperative in successful learning since it is well proved that the more the senses are stimulated, the more a person learns and longer he/she retains. Activity based learning includes Gamification, Role plays, Skits, Debates, Group Discussion, Participation in Seminars/ Workshops.
1.To enhance creative aspect of experience.
2.To build the student’s self-confidence and to develop understanding through work in their group.
1. Happy relationship between students and students, teachers and students will be developed.
Our CSE department has one dedicated lab for implementing “Learning by Doing” methodology. The lab is located at first floor of NITN. In these labs, students are provided with hands on training on various technologies for better learning experience. Labs and classes are held together to implement “Learning by Doing”. Also, curriculum is equipped with industry oriented Mini project, Major project and Internships to implement “Learning by Doing” pedagogy method.
1.To present real-life problems to the students and then guide the students to solve the problem by providing them with a hands-on activity to learn the solution.
2. To curate, develop, use, and share appropriate educational resources.
3. To discern the possibilities and limitations of technology to support teaching and learning.
1. Making more engaging and motivating activities for students.
2. Pulsing the real state of the knowledge students have acquired.
3. Expediting students to interact with their environment in order to adapt and learn.
NITN is registered as a NDLI Club under the National Digital Library of India. So, students can access the contents available on National Digital Library website anytime.
1. To make quality digital educational resources available to all citizens of the country to empower, inspire an encourage learning.
2. To search for content using various parameters like subject matter, source, content type and more.
To enable single window platform that collects and collates metadata from premier learning institutions in India and abroad, as well as other relevant sources.
1. Integrating contents from different Indian Institutional Repositories.
2. Availing Educational materials for users ranging from primary to post-graduate levels.
3. Information can be personalized based on the education level, choice of language, difficulty level, media of content and such other factors.
Study materials related to any CSE department Course are made available online in our official web site. Refer http://220.127.116.11:99/moodle
1. To enable students to download all course related materials from the college website.
2. To assist flipped class learning.
3. To ensure that students receive the same levels of support that they would receive on campus.
4. To promote learning remotely.
1. Making students to connect with course content in a consistent format.
2. Navigation of the course content will be simplified to keep students stay focused.
The Reproducibility and Reusability define the ability of any researcher to refer the previous results achieved by the original investigator. Dept. of CSE focuses on reproducibility and reusability of the work performed by the Doctorates of the Department. Doctorates present their Ph.D. research works to the students and faculties. This in the future helps the students as well as faculties to decide their research areas for further studies. They can carry out further extension of the work if they feel interested in the topic. Data reproducibility is significant to create more opportunities for new insights in research. It helps a researcher to achieve a better outcome of any research which was initiated by the previous researcher.
1. To confirm that the original results of past research works are indeed correct
2. To give step by step process for reproducing the research.
3. To enable students to follow the process themselves and come to their own conclusions.
1. Data reproducibility is achieved
2. Various experiments can be identified to arrive at the same conclusion.
1. Designing an Energy Efficient Scheduling using Mac Protocol in Wireless Sensor Network
2. A Hybrid Approach in autonomic service-oriented delivery platform for next generation network
1. Course content’s delivery method is properly planned prior to the commencement of course.
2. This information on instruction delivery is maintained in course file.
3. Instruction delivery is done through Blackboard, ppts, videos, website references, interactive activities, and also through social media.
1. To plan a specific outline of teaching goals, learning objectives, and means to accomplish them.
2. To create a realistic timeline.
3. To plan for a lesson closure.
1. A meaningful learning experience with students is achieved.
At Narasaraopeta Institute of Technology, we are imparting skills (life & professional skills) to the students through Experiential Learning/ Activity Based Learning methodologies.
. Life Skills are those skills which enable an individual to be more competent in dealing with the day to day challenges in a positive way.
. Essentially, these skills must be acquired by observing, doing, feeling and thinking for effective learning, retention and future application.
. Professional skills are the core specialization skills and refers to Technical Skills/ Management Skills/ Pharmaceutical Skills, etc.
. Along with good technical understanding and subject knowledge, employers often outline a set of skills that they want from an employee. The skills like Working in Teams, Problem Solving, Self-Management, Organization Behaviour, Literacy and Numeracy relevant to the post, ICT Knowledge, Good Interpersonal and Communication Skills, Ability to Use Own Initiative and as well to follow instructions and Leadership Skills are necessary.
. UNICEF defines Life Skills as Behaviour Change or Behaviour Development Approach designed to address the balance of three areas – Knowledge, Attitude & Skills and they lead to Outcome Based Education System which is very much different from Traditional Education System.
. Life Skills are essentially those abilities that help to promote physical, mental and emotional well-being and competence to face realities of life.
. WHO also defines Life Skills as ‘abilities for adaptive and positive behaviour that enable individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life’.
. Life Skills bring greater acceptance, better relationships and a healthy, positive life and enables individuals to translate knowledge (what one knows), attitudes and values (what one believes and feels) into actual skills/ abilities/ actions (what to do and how to do it?).
1. To promote confidence and well-being in young people and adults.
2. To make students more assertive, communicate effectively with others by developing good listening skills and learn to handle stress and deal with disappointments and setbacks.
3. To explore student’s beliefs and attitudes through group discussions and confidence building techniques such as positive visualization.
4. To play to their strengths by engaging in creative activities and following a healthy lifestyle.
1. Every student is equipped with appropriate knowledge on risk taking behaviours and develop skills such as communication, assertiveness, self-awareness, decision-making, problem solving, critical and creative thinking.
2. Students can be able to apply known knowledge in new contexts.
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) was initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003. Five core disciplines were identified, namely, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Mechanical Engineering and 932 courses in web/video format were developed in this phase.
The objective of enabling students obtain certificates for courses is to make students employable in the industry or pursue a suitable higher education programme. Through an online portal, 4-, 8-, or 12-week online courses, typically on topics relevant to students in all years of higher education along with basic core courses in Sciences and Humanities with exposure to relevant tools and technologies, are being offered. The enrolment to and learning from these courses involves no cost. Following these online courses, an in-person, proctored certification exam will be conducted and a certificate is provided through the participating institutions and industry, when applicable.
1. NITN is actively encouraging faculties and students to attend NPTEL courses.
2. Many students are using these to prepare for GATE exams and higher studies too.
3. 20% of the applicants is faculty members in various colleges across the country. The advanced courses are being recommended to AICTE to be approved as Faculty development programs (FDP) so that they can get the points for the same.
V.V.L. RAVI KIRAN
Librarian , SPOC - NPTEL Local Chapter,
NITN, Narasaraopeta -522601.
Students are encouraged to do the various online Courses like NPTEL, coursera, etc. at no/low cost to go adequate to self-learning process. Once the student learns to study through online mode, it builds the students to get empowered through career subject interest-based learning process.
Mentor dairies have been maintained by the department for all the students. Faculty have been assigned to completely monitor students and take the necessary actions. The Counsellors regularly conduct meetings regarding progress of their mentees and are responsible to identify students who scored less than 50% marks in their internals. Under the HOD’s direction, the Student Counsellors evaluate the progress of those students who score below 50% marks in three or more subjects. They are considered as academically weak students and same is also intimated to their parents. For each student one dairy along with the previous internal and external marks allotted is maintained also necessary measures are taken if they secure less marks and counselling is given to score more in the next exams.
The scheme is adapted for the value additions to the students like:
. Bridging the gap between the teachers and students.
. Creation of a better environment in college, where students can approach teachers for both educational and personal guidance.
. Enhancement of knowledge base for both teachers and students alike, due to effective two-way communication.
. Awareness and support to students for GATE, GRE, CAT, ISRO, SAIL, NAL, HAL, NTPC, BSNL, DRDO, BARC, and other Govt. & PSUs examinations.
. Motivation for higher studies and entrepreneurship.
. Advice and support for improvement in academic performance.
1. Regular meetings are held between mentor and mentee.
2. Each mentor has been allocated with a number of 15-20 mentees.
3. A mentor diary is maintained for each student.
4. The mentor diary has both personal and academic data.
5. Students are allowed to approach the mentor for both academic & personal problems.
5. Personalized professional /career advice is given to the mentee.